'Oh, so that's who Richard Morris is..." Lord Hattersley on The Daily Politics

'An influential activist' - The Guardian

'Iain Dale, without the self loathing' - Matthew Fox in The New Statesman

'
You are a tinker...' - Tim Farron

Monday 23 December 2013

Liberal Voice of the Year

It's getting to that time of the year when we vote on Lib Dem Voice's Liberal Voice of the Year - once they've completed the shortlist. And they've called for suggestions. I have a few...

Of course, everyone thinks it will be a shoe in for Nelson Mandela. They are probably right.  Even in his passing, he has probably done more for Liberal causes that the rest of us can achieve in a lifetime. He would be a worthy winner

But he is not my vote.

I think Time's 'Person of the Year' Pope Francis, would also be a fine choice. Who would have thought this time last year that I could even think of nominating the Pope? Although articles like this make me think again...

But anyway,  he is not my choice

I am intrigued by the President of Uruguay, who of course, has just legalised Cannabis in his country. Having read a little about him, he seems an extraordinary man. 

But he is not my choice.

An interesting and perhaps controversial choice would be Ed Miliband. No, stop spitting out your cornflakes. Either by accident of design , political slight of hand or political battering, he probably is the one person in the world who stopped the world going to war with Syria. For that alone, he would be a fine winner.

But my choice is the person who should have won it last year. Who has continued to show she is a fine liberal voice, an inspiration to the world.

My choice is Malala Yousafzai







2 comments:

  1. I don't think Nelson Mandela will win. He didn't work for a free-market think tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, you are quite right. It's the one obvious flaw on a glittering CV :-)

    ReplyDelete